Monday, March 5, 2018

Kyleigh And The Alphabet Song

So almost a year ago, Kyleigh was upset about something.  No matter what I did, I could not get her to calm down.  She was exhausted, and yet, full of energy.  The two forces were contesting one another in calamitous fashion. 

I began to sing her a few of her favorite songs, but to no avail with the calming down portion.  By this time, she was a  mini cat lady convert.  So a genius epiphany was had.

"Kyleigh, would you like me to sing the Cat Alphabet to you?"

She stopped crying to look up at me.  "Cat."

So I meowed all of the letters of the alphabet to it's tune.  She didn't just get a little excited.  She LOVED it.  Every night before bedtime, she would request it.  She even started requesting it from Claudia for nap time during the day.  Claudia has thanked me so many times for that.  Occasionally a little too hard, but I can tell from her Love "taps" that she still likes me. 

About five months ago, Kyleigh invented the Puppy Alphabet.  Yep, you bark the alphabet to it's tune.  Unfortunately, there were many nights both get requested one after the other.  Kyleigh loves singing them though, so of course, I enjoy it as well.

A few weeks ago, Kyleigh requested the Bird alphabet to add to her little alphabetical repertoire.  The songs seemed to get easier and easier.  Meowing to barking was nice.  Barking to tweeting, even easier.  Not long after, she requested the Car alphabet, so I made one up for her.  She really get's into singing these songs with me.  I was really having fun with it!

....Until two nights ago.  When things started to get out of hand.  After singing Cat, Puppy, and Bird alphabet songs (in that order), I asked to name the next song we sing.  She looked at me and said, "Snow White Alphabet."  Well, whatever you are imagining me singing as, your imagined version is probably performed much better than my rendition; Fluttery, high-pitched ABC's.... After that, Kyleigh requested the Car alphabet, so I gladly sang that one.  I had to make up for my poor performance of the Snow White alphabet. 

After finishing the Car alphabet, before I could even ask Kyleigh what the next song should be, she requested we sing the Car alphabet again.  "No, we already sang that song for the night."

Kyleigh looked at me.  I could see the wheels turning the way she was staring through my eyes.  Then, she did the unthinkable!  She requested the Red Car alphabet. 


Funny Side Note:

While I was typing this up, Claudia called me to let me know three new songs were requested for nap time today.

They are:

Hurt Alphabet - Ouch Ouch Ouch...
Strawberry Alphabet - Yum Yum Yum...
and Car Wash Alphabet - Soap Soap, Bubble Bubbles, Water Water...


The perspicacity I was beginning to gain for our child is slowly fading away,  and becoming the Malaprop I have always feared that word to be.




6 comments:

  1. This cracked me up! You guys are such fun parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kyleigh's imagination has really taken off! It's a lot of fun to participate in things like this with her now!

      Delete
  2. LOL, bedtime must last for HOURS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some nights surprise me. I look at the clock and just go to bed myself.

      Delete
  3. And thank you for reviving the blog! I'd almost forgotten about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, np! It was a lot easier to use this blog than to try to type all of that out on my phone, lol.

      Delete