Thursday, September 30, 2010

The House Cleaning from Hell

So this is how my day went....First of all, I was supposed to have only one customer today, one of my regulars that only takes about three hours to clean. Lesson One - Never answer your phone! (unless I am calling, of course)

Turns out one of the other girls pulled a muscle in her back, so I needed to do her customers house way out in the middle of the woods, down two dirt roads and a long gravel driveway, somewhere out near Jordan Lake. I get there and discover that the house is FILTHY and there was hair EVERYWHERE! Huge, HUGE clumps of it from their half dozen cats in every corner, under all the furniture, covering all the furniture, coating the baseboards, a veritable "carpet" of hair on their hardwood floors, their carpeted floors, their tiled floors and their bed (which I had to change! Even the "clean" sheets had hair on them). And me without any antihistimines!

I get started working (and sneezing and wiping my eyes) and about 40 minutes into it the power goes out with a big BOOM! It sounded to me like a transformer blowing. I call the customer to let them know what I won't be able to do if the power does not come back on before I finish the things I CAN do in little to no light. Two and a half hours later I finish and the power is still out. I hate to think how long it would have taken me if I had had to do the entire place!

Finally! I'm on my way to MY customers house, except.....at the end of the driveway, blocking my exit is a downed power line! Now, all I know about electricity, is what I've seen in the movies, so I have no idea whether I can drive over this thing or not. I'm thinking that with rubber wheels I might be okay, but I'm just not 100% sure, so I call my hubby! I had to open the car door and lean out of it to get cell service, but I got him and turns out, HE wasn't 100% sure either!
Well, somehow we decided that I should go for it (????), so I drove over it while still on the phone, wondering if my scream would be the last thing Rusty heard from me. In retrospect, I guess I should have told him I loved him before gunning it, but all I could think is, "I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die! I didn't. The End.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very glad you didn't die....and that sounds like a really really crappy house to clean....when was the last time it got cleaned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rubber is an insulator of electricity, so if your tires ran over the live-wire you would be fine... However, metal is a conductor and gasoline is an explosive.. so if the undercarriage of your car hit the live-wire, this would be an entirely different blog post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca - Two weeks ago!
    Jon - Duly noted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow (I feel that word just about sums up all I have to say)

    ReplyDelete